Note: These are some resources collected during my research into the intersections between Thai, queer and trans identities, experiences and representations. Thanks to Bo Luengsuraswat for providing many of these links. This list was compiled in 2011; some updates have been added since, but it is not meant to be exhaustive.
Articles and Essays
Aizura, Aren. Some great articles on the construction of Thai femininity and surgical tourism among Thai and non-Thai trans women in Thailand.
Käng, Dredge Byung’chu. Queer Media Loci in Bangkok: Paradise Lost and Found in Translation. GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies, Volume 17, Number 1, 2010, pp. 169-191 (Article) Published by Duke University Press.
Luengsuraswat, Bo. Rewriting the Written: FTM Self-Making and the Performance of Possibilities in Sean Dorsey’s Uncovered: The Diary Project. CSW Update Newsletter, UCLA Center for the Study of Women, UC Los Angeles. April 1, 2009.
Mar, Kobi. Female-To-Male Transgender Spectrum People of Asian and Pacific Islander Descent. (April 2010). To receive a PDF copy of this dissertation, please email:
A tricky transition: Two female-to-male transsexuals open up about the difficulties they have faced with their sexuality, families, and winning acceptance, Bangkok Post, October 8, 2012 (Full article re-posted via Thai Transgender Alliance)
– Thai person who won a female beauty pageant but then transitioned afterwards, which became a controversy in the media: http://women.sanook.com/whatson/news_26717.php
– Sapaan articles in Thai: http://www.sapaan.org/article/
– The Rainbow Archives Project: http://www.bl.uk/about/policies/endangeredarch/2008/jackson.html
– A report on the Int’l Asian Queer Studies Conference in Bangkok in ’05: http://bbznet.pukpik.com/scripts2/view.php?user=sapaanboard&board=3&id=97&order=numtopic&mobileE=Y
– A synopsis of the article “Tom, Dii, and Anjaree: ‘women who follow nonconformist ways'” by Jillana Enteen: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-112021897/tom-dii-and-anjaree.html
– A synopsis of an awesome article (I believe it’s published by the Chiangmai University), “Toward a Struggle Against Invisibility: Love Between Women in Thailand” by Took Took Thongthiraj: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-112021884/toward-struggle-against-invisibility.html
– An article by Peter Jackson, “Pre-Gay, Post-Queer: Thai Perspectives on Proliferating Gender/Sex Diversity in Asia”
– A paper presented at the Bangkok Queer Studies conference, “Intra-Asian Circuits and the Problem of Global Queer” by Ara Wilson: http://bangkok2005.anu.edu.au/papers/Wilson.pdf
– Gender and AIDS: http://forums.healthdev.org/read/messages?id=13363
– An alternative reading of Buddhism on the issue of queerness: http://child1968.blogspot.com/2006/12/blog-post_2796.html
– Thai school offering bathrooms for transwomen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7529227.stm
– The infamous Thomas Beatie: http://www.sapaan.org/article/78.htm
– A rather funny & derogatory list of the types of toms & dees: http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?tid=78b83229c1341486&pli=1
– A discussion on the Thai constitution in relation to LGBT recognition/law: http://www.localtalk2004.com/V2005/detail.php?file=2&code=a1_22062007_01
– An article on gender markers on Thai IDs: http://www.thaingo.org/writer/view.php?id=512
– Another article on gender markers: http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/6897,news-comment,news-politics,gender-an-issue-at-thai-immigration
– A Sapaan article on gender markers: http://www.sapaan.org/article/71.htm
– TV interview with Khun Nok Yollada, a trans woman fighting for the ability to change gender markers on Thai IDs (February 2010) (Thai language): http://video.mthai.com/player.php?id=6M1266819603M0
Organizations and Centers
Sapaan: Alternative Media for Lesbian Rights
Thai Transgender Alliance (advocacy org for trans women)
Anjaree (an organization and magazine, this site contains PDF downloads of issues)
Haritaworn, Jin. The Biopolitics of Mixing: Thai Multiracialities and Haunted Ascendancies. Ashgate Press, 2012.
Sinnott, Megan. Toms and Dees: Transgender Identity and Female Same-Sex Relationships in Thailand. University of Hawaii Press, 2004.
Costa, LeeRay and Andy Matzner. Male Bodies, Women’s Souls: Personal Narratives of Thailand’s Transgendered Youth. Routledge, 2007.
Two books on queer/gender/sexuality:
1) เพศไม่นิ่ง: ตัวตน เพศภาวะ เพศวิถี ในมิติสุขภาพ http://www.prachatai.com/journal/2007/07/13360
2) เพศภาวะ: การท้าทายร่างกาย การค้นหาตัวตน http://www.pantip.com/cafe/library/bookcase/preview/1985.html
“Genders and Sexualities in Modern Thailand” by Annette Hamilton: http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst?docId=5002421976
Films, Movies and Videos
She: tHEiR Love Story | Trailer
Yes or No 2
Visible Silence: Ruth Gumnit’s forthcoming documentary on Thai tomboys
– This person writes reviews of Thai gay movies & discusses queer/sexuality/gender issues: http://vitaya-home.blogspot.com/. One of his entries talks about an intersex athlete in Thailand: http://vitaya-home.blogspot.com/2006/11/blog-post.html
– Two reviews of the Bangkok Love Story: http://movie.sanook.com/review/review_13357.php, http://ibankzaa.blogspot.com/2008/09/blog-post_3370.html
– Bangkok Pride Parade in 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sJ7rmaKow
Tom + Tom = Tom/Gay: http://club.myfri3nd.com/tomza-dyza_33/album/8631